Chilean airline Aerovías DAP has acquired BAe 146-200 G-FLTD (msn E2042) on a lease-purchase agreement from Tronos. The airline is planning to use her for flights to Antarctica. These have hitherto been operated with a Dash 7, but increased demand required a larger aircraft. This will not be the first time that 146s have operated to Antarctica. In 1990, a 146-200 operated by LAN Chile became the first commercial jetliner to land there. G-FLTD had previously been operated by Flightline. She departed Southend on 26 November and arrived at Santiago’s Arturo Merino Benítez Airport on 30 November. She is due to continue on to Aerovías DAP’s base at Punta Arenas in a few days, once importation formalities have been concluded.
Recent news items on Aerovías DAP:
- Aerovías DAP paints Avro RJ100 in penguin colors (2019-12-05)
- Aerovías DAP withdraws Boeing 737s (2019-07-19)
- Aerovías DAP paints second BAe 146 in penguin livery (2018-12-22)
- Second Aerovías DAP Avro RJ100 enters service (2018-11-10)
- Aerovías DAP adds BAe 146-100 (2018-11-03)