Continuing the process of airline consolidation in Europe, Lufthansa is in talks to buy a stake in Brussels Airlines. The German airline has proposed acquiring 45% of Brussels Airlines parent company SN Airholding SA/NV for EUR65 million, along with an option to buy the remaining 55% in two years. Under the plan, Brussels Airlines would continue to operate independently, in a manner similar to Swiss. Although the broad outlines of the deal seem clear, negotiations are still on-going. The deal would then have to be approved by Lufthansa’s Supervisory Board and SN Airholding’s Board and shareholders. It would also require antitrust clearance. Should the deal be concluded, it would further extend the Lufthansa Group’s Avro RJ and BAe 146 fleet, which already includes 18 RJ85s operated by CityLine, 10 BAe 146s operated by Eurowings, 20 RJ100s operated by Swiss, and five BAe 146s operated by Air Dolomiti. Brussels Airlines would add 14 RJ85s and 12 RJ100s. The airline also operates three BAe 146s, but these will be withdrawn from use in the fall; three more 146s are already in storage.
Recent news items on Brussels Airlines:
- CityJet Avro RJ85 flies for Brussels Airlines (2019-12-10)
- CityJet Avro RJ85s fly for Brussels Airlines (2018-05-29)
- Last Brussels Airlines Avro RJ100 returned to lessor (2017-11-16)
- Brussels Airlines says goodbye to the Avro RJ100 (2017-10-30)
- Brussels Airlines operates last Avro RJ100 service (2017-10-28)