Air Botswana is returning their leased BAe 146-100 A2-ABF (msn E1160) to BAE Systems Regional Aircraft. The airline leased A2-ABF in 2005, to complement their own BAe 146-200, A2-ABD (msn E1101). She arrived at Southend on 10 February for post-lease maintenance prior to handback. A proposed sale of the airline to South Africa’s Airlink in 2007 collapsed among political acrimony. The government subsequently invested BWP100 million (US$17 million) to recapitalize Air Botswana, with fleet renewal being one of the objectives. In 2008, the cabinet turned down a proposed management contract with South Africa’s Comair to run Air Botswana. New negotiations are now underway with International Development Ireland (IDI).
Recent news items on Air Botswana:
- Former Air Botswana BAe 146 parted out (2018-01-06)
- Ex Air Botswana Avro RJ85 airframe donated to non-profit (2017-09-30)
- Air Botswana BAe 146 ferried to the Philippines (2017-08-26)
- Air Botswana Avro RJ85s to be parted out (2016-08-06)
- Air Botswana puts its 146s up for auction (2015-05-22)