BAE Systems Regional Aircraft announced at its media briefing that Swiss had entered into leases on six Avro RJ100s in late 2010. The six aircraft involved – HB-IYV (msn E3377), HB-IYU (msn E3379), HB-IYT (msn E3380), HB-IYS (msn E3381), HB-IYR (msn E3382), and HB-IYQ (msn E3384) – are former BA CityFlyer examples that the Swiss airline had leased from the British airline in 2006. With BA CityFlyer ending its own Avro RJ operations and Swiss still needing the aircraft, BAE Systems bought back the aircraft from the banks and bondholders and then leased them directly to Swiss. The length of the lease was not stated, but Swiss is due to begin replacing its RJ100s with Bombardier CS100s in 2014.
Recent news items on Swiss:
- Last Swiss Avro RJ100 departs Zürich (2017-08-24)
- Swiss ends Avro RJ100 operations (2017-08-15)
- Swiss is down to a single Avro RJ100 (2017-07-05)
- Third Avro RJ100 delivered to Aerovías DAP (2017-04-29)
- BAE Systems marks Swiss BAe 146/Avro RJ anniversary (2017-03-28)