Avro RJ85 C-FLRJ (msn E2302) of Summit Aviation helped evacuate families from the town of Fort McMurray, Alberta, that was threatened by a massive forest fire. The fire, which started on 1 May, eventually destroyed most of Fort McMurray, forcing the entire town to be evacuated. Most left by road, but several flights were also organized. C-FLRJ participated in this effort, flying members of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation to Fort Chipewyan, about 200 km north of Fort McMurray, on 4 May. One of North Cariboo Air‘s RJ100s also participated in the evacuation flights, as well flying in firefighters from Calgary and Manitoba.
Recent news items on Summit Air:
- Summit Air adds second Avro RJ100 (2018-02-25)
- Summit Air to open base at Calgary (2017-04-22)
- Summit Air Avro RJ85 ferried to Cranfield for maintenance (2017-04-03)
- Avro RJ100 delivered to Summit Air (2017-02-28)
- Summit Air extends First Air partnership (2017-01-25)