Canadian Avro RJ operator Summit Air is planning to open a new base at Calgary, complementing its existing base at Edmonton. The new base, which is expected to be operational by the summer, will help support Summit’s fly-in-fly-out operations on behalf of mining companies. Summit Air has been operating two Avro RJ85s for two years, and recently added an RJ100. The RJ85s are configured for 90 passengers, and the RJ100 for 111 passengers. Lane Zirnhelt, Summit Aviation Group’s Chief Operating Officer, said that the RJ85s had been well-received by the market. RJ85 C-FERJ (msn E2290) is normally operated on behalf of First Air, in that airline’s colors, on routes from Yellowknife. However, those services are currently being covered by RJ100 C-FXRJ (msn E3301), while C-FERJ is at Cranfield for maintenance.
Recent news items on Summit Air:
- First Air merges with Canadian North (2019-07-23)
- Summit Air Avro RJ85 pull (2018-09-23)
- Canadian RJ100s fly to the UK for maintenance (2018-04-15)
- Summit Air adds second Avro RJ100 (2018-02-25)
- Summit Air Avro RJ85 ferried to Cranfield for maintenance (2017-04-03)