In a ceremony held at Gaborone airport on 28 September, Ansett Aviation Spares and Services donated the airframe of former Air Botswana Avro RJ85 A2-ABG (msn E2303) to a Botswanan non-profit organization, Dare to Dream. Dare to Dream was founded by Captain Kgomotso Phatsima, one of the Botswana Defence Force’s (BDF) first female pilots, to encourage, empower, and attract young people and especially women to consider careers in aviation and aerospace. A former Lufthansa aircraft, A2-ABG joined Air Botswana’s fleet in 2012. She was withdrawn from use sometime in late 2014. Ansett Aviation Spares and Services acquired her, along with sistership A2-ABH (msn E2304), in 2016. Both were stripped of useful spares beginning in late 2017. Dare to Dream plans to use A2-ABG’s airframe as an aviation-themed restaurant, and for events that promote aviation, aerospace awareness, and tourism.
Recent news items on Air Botswana:
- Former Air Botswana BAe 146 parted out (2018-01-06)
- Air Botswana BAe 146 ferried to the Philippines (2017-08-26)
- Air Botswana Avro RJ85s to be parted out (2016-08-06)
- Air Botswana puts its 146s up for auction (2015-05-22)
- Air Botswana Avro RJ85s fly to Stansted for maintenance (2014-08-30)