Avro RJ85 ZS-ASW (msn E2313) of Airlink suffered an uncontained engine failure in its number 2 engine on 8 November, while operating flight SA8103 from Harare to Johannesburg. Shrapnel from the engine then damaged the adjacent number 1 engine, as well. After assessing the damage and status of the aircraft, the crew decided to continue to Johannesburg under the power of its remaining two engines. The RJ85 where landed safely on Johannesburg’s runway 21R at 20:40L. There were no injuries among the 34 passengers and four crewmembers. Airlink has 12 RJ85s, but has begun receiving Embraer 190s to replace them.
Recent news items on Airlink:
- Airlink to merge with Safair (2017-11-27)
- Airlink puts Embraer 190 into service (2017-08-04)
- Atlantic Star bid for St Helena service rejected (2017-05-04)
- Airlink Avro RJ85 flies to St. Helena (2017-05-03)
- Airlink to replaces its Avro RJ85s with Embraer E-Jets (2017-01-19)