Conair has once again flown Avro RJ85 air tanker C-GFVK/Tanker 165 (msn E2268) to Australia for the southern hemisphere fire season. Tanker 165 departed her base at Abbotsford on 16 August, then undertook the long crossing to Honolulu the following day. After buying Hawaiian shirts as unofficial ‘team shirts’, the crew continued on to the Marshall Islands on 19 August, then on to Honiara the following day, finally arriving in Australia on 21 August. This year, she is under contract to the New South Wales Rural Fire Service and will be based at RAAF Richmond. She has been christened ‘Boomer’.
Recent news items on Conair:
- RJ85 air tanker switches states and number (2018-12-09)
- Third Avro RJ85 air tanker arrives in Australia (2018-12-01)
- Avro RJ85 air tankers operate in Queensland (2018-12-01)
- Second Conair RJ85 air tanker arrives in Australia (2018-10-27)
- Conair Avro RJ85AT air tanker returns from Australia (2018-03-15)