FAAM’s BAe 146-301ARA G-LUXE (msn E3001) is operating out of Halifax as part of a study of the emissions from North American forest fires. The campaign, dubbed BORTAS, is a collaboration between several science organisations based in the UK, Canada, and the USA. The 146ARA positioned to Halifax on July 13, via Horta in the Azores and St. Johns. The first science flight was conducted on July 15. She is scheduled to remain in Halifax until August 2. BORTAS was initially scheduled for the summer of 2010, but the need to retain the 146ARA in the UK in case of Iceland’s Eyjafjallajoekull volcano should erupt again resulted in the campaign being postponed.
Recent news items on FAAM:
- FAAM BAe 146ARA test-flies optical ice detection probe (2017-07-04)
- FAAM BAe 146ARA flies in formation … with a ship (2016-09-15)
- FAAM BAe 146ARA operator Directflight changes name (2016-05-29)
- NERC buys FAAM BAe 146 (2014-04-02)
- FAAM BAe 146 to operate in the arctic (2013-03-19)